Tuesday, October 15, 2013

First attempt underway...

My first casting attempt is now underway and a few observations spring to mind regarding resin.
I knew it was poisonous, and highly flammable, but I didn't realise just how corrosive it is. I mixed up 12 gr, for though I only needed half that I knew from experience that silicone sticks to vessel from which it is being poured, so I figured the resin would do the same and an extra 6gr should counter this. It did but it also ate through the plastic cup I was using to pour it.

The resin I am using is apparently designed to be mixed with various fillers. I have a 'stone texture' filler, but I decided not to use it this first time as I want to see what the resin looks like when it is 'raw'. You can also buy colours, and I'll probably invest in a colour at a later date.

The resin itself is not particularly fluid. Its viscousity and appearance are close to pourable honey.
When I began, I was wearing my air filters, but I realised that I could still smell the resin. It is similar in smell to fiberglass. I supposed my filters were not skin tight on account of my facial hair, and pulled the straps tighter, this seemed to work, though I now have a red chevron on my face

We'll see tomorrow if the casting worked or not...

2 comments:

Steve-the-Wargamer said...

It's a good thought - I wonder if you could actually use fibre glass resin??

moif said...

It occurs to me that this is probably much the same thing. Its called polyester resin, which sounds pretty generic to me.