Monday, July 11, 2011

Johnny Mad Dog


Dir; Jean-Stéphane Sauvaire

This film came out of no where. Shown on late night television whilst we were at the summer house last week, I watched it with Mette's brother, known to the kids as 'Uncle Krigga'. The film is the story of a boy soldier who commands a band of even younger boys during the Liberian civil war and it is raw and uncompromising in its portrayal. Like 'Lord of the Flies' meets 'Full Metal Jacket' in its intensity, the portrayal by the young actors of violent, insane children makes Stanley Kubrick's 'A Clockwork Orange' seem hopelessly quaint.

This is without a doubt one of the best war films I've ever seen. In scene after scene, the tragedy of African conflict, and by extension the realites of war for human beings, is shown mercilessly, and I found myself musing on the contrasts of chance as I, a well fed and middle aged European, watched young skinny Africans suffering horrendous miseries, and essentially for my entertainment. Any film that can tell a story which some how touches us has to be worth a good review so this one gets a full five stars from me.




No comments: