Monday, October 12, 2009

Happy Birthday Ralph!

Today was none other than Ralph Vaughn Williams 137th birthday. Happy birthday dude. You haven't been forgotten. =)

I don't have much to say about Vaughn William, except to express my opinion that our contemporary film score composer, John Williams, wouldn't have a leg to stand on if he hadn't nicked just about every good thing he ever did from Vaughn Williams. Thats just my opinion, and its probably based on my utter ignorance of composing music as opposed to just listening to it.

I am a big fan of Vaughan Williams, especially some of his earlier symphonies. He's the only composer which I've bought his entire symphonic catalogue, and it was money well spent!

Since Brando already made a reference to Vaughan Williams Fantasia on a theme by Thomas Tallis, here it is;


And here to broaden Brando's horizon is Vaughan William's symphony nr 8.

No comments: