Wednesday, May 06, 2009

2%

Well, it looks like I might finally make it into the illustrious 2%. I am offered a contract with employment commencing from 1st August. Until then I continue in my 'trial capacity', but short of economic failure, it looks as if I am heading into a permanent job as an illustrator.

I once had a tutor (in 1996) who told me that only 2% of students ever reach employment as a graphic designer, and even fewer reached the status of illustrator. Of course that was in the UK, and in Denmark you can't study Illustration at university (thank you John Major) and everything is slightly different here. My former tutor's words (he was a brilliant teacher, despite being a complete alcoholic) stuck with me. As the years passed and my health deteriated, it became increasingly difficult to imagine it might ever happen. Even now when the other people at work congratulate me, I feel slightly numb and don't quite know what to say. I guess I won't believe its real until I see my first full wage.

It took me thirten years, during at least six of which I thought I was dying, to reach this point. Two of the people I have loved most died in the mean time, and two children came along to replace them. God has a strange sense of humour!

I wonder what comes next?

6 comments:

Cyan said...

That's wonderful news! I'm thrilled that you're doing so well. :)

moif said...

Thanks Cyan.

Now perhaps my art blog will see more updates...

brando said...

Congrats. Getting paid for what you do well is cool.

marinergrim said...

In the immortal words of Monty Python... "always look on the bright side of life".

Congratulations.

mlj said...

That's great, moif!

I can't wait to see more of your skilled art - you are a talented person, and don't you ever forget that!

Great big hug and loads of love,

Maja

Anonymous said...

(Belated) Congratulations!