Saturday, June 14, 2008

Rome


This is a two season series made by HBO, the BBC and a few others which chronicles the rise to power of Julius Caeser, and then following his assassination, the rise of his nephew Octavian Augustus Caeser. As far as the wargaming fraternity goes, I'm probably the last person to have seen this, but here goes...

I really liked the production. I thought it had the right ambience, a very nice balance between the beauty and horror of the period, and just enough brutality and sex to make it feel exotic. The actors did a fantastic job of recreating the sense of 'Roman cultural morality', and there were times when I was just staring at the screen with wide eyes and open mouth. Its been said that this series was too bloody for TV, but I disagree. I think rather the audience is too soft.



In fact, the actors were so good that its hard to point to any one who failed to stand out, without exception they were brilliant. I personally enjoyed the characters of Atia of the Julii, Titus Pullo and Mark Anthony, all of whom were portrayed more or less as I imagine Romans might have been. I also developed quite a fascination with Polly Walkers chest...

As far as I am concerned, this is some of the best television I've ever seen. Its on a par with 'Band of Brothers'. If I have any complaint at all, then its merely to point out that the characters of Titus Pullo and Lucius Vorenus get pushed through too many hoops to establish the many coincidences of history they are witness to, at the same time though I liked how Julius Caeser, noting the two legionaries remarkable luck, refuses to have them executed for failing in their duty. Nice touch.

6 comments:

Cyan said...

It's been a while since I watched it, but I was completely absorbed by Rome.

marinergrim said...

It was a great series. Season two is a little wide of the mark I feel but the first was terrific.

Historiker-Palle said...

Second-last, I have not seen it and I am a Roman Historian...

moif said...

GM.
I read that the suits pulled the plug on the production half way through season two and they had to make a lot of compromises, thats probably what made it seem 'lesser'. That and the fact that Julius Caesar was no longer around to give it that extra special flavour.

Palle.
Hardly matters. You'd probably get all worked up about the historical inacuracies anyway.

Historiker-Palle said...

Ha ha ha ha

You know me too well.

I love Roman History...

I would.

Cyan said...

It seems that most quality television tends to be cancelled mid-production while the really awful stuff can go on for ages. I'm assuming it's a money issue, but it's still rather frustrating, particularly when they throw together a rushed ending that doesn't effectively close the series.