Sunday, March 09, 2008

B17 tribute film





This is a nice little compilation of footage of the Boeing B17 'Flying Fortress'. When I was a boy, the B17 was my all time favourite aircraft and I still clearly remember the day I bought the airfix 1/72 scale model and saw how big it was next to my other models. Unfortunately my model making skills in those days were often hampered by inexperience and impatience and the finished model was never a beauty. I've never seen a real B17, and since the survivors are all said to be in the states, I probably never will. Thankfully such footage exists so I can still enjoy the sight of these ungainly angel's.

More bombing raid footage. (with some repeats)
Flying over the channel.
Starting engines.
View from the nose.
Chucky starting up.
Memphis Belle fly by.
Aluminum overcast. (interior, start up and take off)

This post was edited 16th January 2010

7 comments:

brando said...

Heck yeah. I was sold on the B-17 after watching Memphis Belle. I went to an airshow and paid 5 bucks to walk around in it. I was astonished at how little room there was inside. In the movies people are running around, but it's actually sort of a small aircraft compared to modern ones.

What struck me as crazy was that bomb-bay area. When the doors are open, it's a very precarious little beam to walk across.

moif said...

Did you see it fly? I love the sound of those old aero engines.

Unknown said...

Hi I am Mike from USA, Texas, I am fortunate to be a volunteer crew member on a flying B-17. I also get to fly on a B-25 sometimes. I consider myself very lucky. If you want specific pictures for modeling please let me know. I would be happy to take them and e-mail them to you. The B-17 tight to walk around in. The B-25 is REALLY Tight. The Sound and smell of those engines starting is amazing. I also fly Ultra light aircraft.

This a video of the plane i volunteer on I am not in this video but it does offer some good views of fort worth from the sky:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7670564444986388969&q=chuckie+b-17&total=11&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0

moif said...

Hi Mike. I'm afraid the url doesn't work for me. Sounds like your having a great time. Whats the name of the aircraft your on?

Unknown said...

Try this URL:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anNRuOonsek

The plane is "Chuckie" She is a b-17g that was converted to pathfinder status. After the war she was converted to cargo. Here is the Museum website:

http://www.vintageflyingmuseum.org/

The B-25 that i got a flight is is the pacific Prowler which hangars in the musem when she is not on the airshow circuit

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=pacific+prowler&search_type=

brando said...

Wow. It sounds like Mike has me beat up and down when it comes to planes. I can't remember if I saw it flying or not.

The single biggest impression I had from that show was sticking my finger in the 30mm cannon of the A-10. I remember that the rifling wasn't just scored into the metal, but was deep machined grooves. That weapon just screamed death.

moif said...

Thanks for the links Mike. CHucky looks fantastic. I'm very jealous!

I've added the links to the post in case other people should wander by.