Saturday, March 01, 2008

Artist of the Month: Juarez Machado


This month, I dedicate to a new artist, well, new to me, from Brazil, called Juarez Machado. Apparently his work inspired the colours in Jeunet's film 'Le fabuleux destin d'Amelie Poulain' (Its such a great title, how can I not write it in its original language?).


I really like Machado's style. It reminds me of Jack Vettriano both in terms of his application of colour and line and in the choice of subject. Both artists appeal to a surreal sense of sophistication, and whilst I'm not a sophisticated urbanite who likes to hang out drinking with urbane intellectuals, I do still like the ambience recreated by these artists. I think it might have something to do with my '1936/noir gene' which has become quite dominent in later years, though forsooth, I am confused as to how these colourful paintings fit into my perception of the dark world of 1930's story telling. Yes. I really did use the word forsooth. It could also be noted that both Vettriano and Machado are more popular in the art print shops than in the art galleries, make of that what you will.


I bought a print of the picture below for Mette because she likes tango music (and because I am in love with her). By a happy chance it happened to arrive the day before St Valentines day. Its called 'Femme au robe rouge' which is easy enough to translate, even for me. I've just had it framed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.