Tuesday, December 11, 2007

A fanfare to fanfare's

So, I was pondering on fanfare's and trying to decide which was the better between Strauss's 'Also Sprach Zarathustra' and Coplands 'Fanfare for the common man'. I like them both, but some how, the more I tried to decide between them, the more I realised the two represented more than just simple music. The latter in particular has to be one of the most political pieces of classical music I know if. Its almost impossible to see it played simply for its self, mostly because it is by definition a political statement of sorts, defining the stated goals of the United States and forever being linked to those goals.

In the end I decided I prefer 'Also Sprach Zarathustra', but then I'm a European classical music snob. Alas, it has also become symbolic in the common perception thanks largely to Stanley Kubrick, but I can't hold that against Stanley since I love his film. Both fanfare's are part of larger works, and its in this context that Strauss wins I think. Copland was a genuine composer, but Strauss is up there with Beethoven and Mozart and it tells. Coplands other work recalls awful music hall dance routines and 1940's style musicals like 'Annie get your gun' or what ever they are called.

The first video is longer than just the fanfare, and the entire piece is in two parts. I'm only really concerned with the actual fanfare but I added the second half as a link in case any one gets into the mood of the thing.


Part 2.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm partial to "Rule Britannia", and I blame this squarely on long hours playing Ultima VI....

Long live Lord British!