Thursday, June 14, 2007

Flyboys



Okay, yeah, they don't make that many dog fight films from the first world war so its important to check out the ones they do make. Important that is if you're into first world war dog fight films. I am, so I watched this film yesterday and sad to say was not very impressed. My expectations weren't high, since the film has had some heavy crit from various quarters...
.

"The multiple red Dr1s were Pythonesque, solidly backed up by the farcical facial expressions of the German pilots. Here I was reminded of Dick Dastardly. A fair number of scenes in this film must be unintentionally funny, given that it wasn't intended as a comedy, and it seems therefore a shame they didn't change the film and push for success in that area. We are talking Victorian musical hall slapstick, which is at least contemporary. A dog at the controls of another red triplance wouldn't have gone amiss." Link.
.

.
...but as I knew from the trailer the film featured an airship, so I had to watch it! As it was the film is a good TV film, in the vein of Hallmark, but as a cinematic release, its a bit poor. The acting is mediocre and the c.g.i. has a few dodgy moments, but essentially its the whole thing that seems amateurish.
.



-

edited to add:

Here are two video clips from the film 'The Blue Max' as a counter point. I'm not certain, but I think (despite its age) this film is probably the best ww1 dog fight movie yet made.
The Attack.
Dogfight.

.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's too bad. I had high hopes for this film. :p

moif said...

There is one passage in particular, when a pilot is downed in no mans land during (what I understand is) the battle of Verdun. The hero, then lands his plane, in an area of strangely uninhabited high ground over looking the bsttle field, apparently survivng the numerous craters with ease. Jumps out and does a several hundred yard dash to his friend, whilst the Germans are hailing down machine gun fire upon him, then proceeds to rescue his friend who is pinned down by his aircraft.

Apparently the film is based on a true story, but I fear they've played fast and loose with the details.

Its worth wathcing but this film is nothing as good as 'The Blue Max' (and I'll two video links to the post as a reference)

Anonymous said...

When I read about Zeppelins and Giant Flying Boats and The Red Baron, I went crazy over them too.

...But I was like 8 years old at the time, heh heh heh!

moif said...

Alas, I never grew up.

=)

Anonymous said...

The Blue Max is an outstanding film.

Historiker-Palle said...

FYI, in case you do not know (I do not know whether it is mentioned in the film as I have not seen it), Pour le Merite "Blaue Max" (Blue Max), was the highest attainable decoration in WWI germany.