Sunday, March 25, 2007

Treasure Island



By RL Stevenson.

The greatest pirate story of them all, I had to read it. It was getting annoying that I hadn't for I am a big fan of pirates and other morally dubious characters. I've had a lot of time recently for (big surprise) we've been ill all week with a confusing cocktail of colds, coughs and chest pains. No throwing up this week though.

Its a good story and I can see that if I'd read it as a child it would have gripped me as 'The Hobbit' once did. Alas, now I am older and stagnating, I found it quite difficult to read. Worryingly, I actually found it difficult to slow my mind down enough to get to grips with the story. I've never had such a problem before. I've always found good books easy to read. This time however, the flow of words just didn't want to settle down and I rode white water from start to finish.

Still enjoyed it though, especially the piratical dialogue and I noted a lot of the phrases were familiar because they had been stolen word for word for Roman Polanski's film 'Pirates'.

2 comments:

Cyan said...

I've been reading Treasure Island, as well. I was ticked off, though, because the initial pirate appeared in my head as the lovely Captain Jack, and I had hoped he would last through the whole book. Unfortunately, the cute one up and and died. :P

moif said...

Heh heh heh You thought he was cute?

The only one I liked was Silver. he was so slippery! Far more than I'd expected.

BTW. Can you recoomend another Kiernan novel? I read one and I fancy another. Hows 'Low Red Moon'? Its been in my Amazon wish list for years.