Thursday, January 04, 2007

Artist of the Month: Paula Rego


Paula Rego is a Portugese artist who has become main stream popular in the UK. I don't know how wide spread her reputation is become in the rest of the world, but she was short listed for the Turner prize in 1989 and widely celebrated in the UK when I was studying art there in the mid to late 90's. I was introduced to her work as a part of my contemporary arts classes and I later visited an exhibition of her work at the Tate gallery in Liverpool. Rego was often described by my tutors as something of a feminist icon, but I never understood why (frankly, I've never understood feminism's deeper mystery's at all). For me, Rego is first and foremost an interesting figurative artist and though there is a lot of obscure narrative in her work that refers to female issues, these don't really interest me at all. As usual I am less interested in what artists have to say, as how they've chosen to say it.

No comments: