Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Artist of the Month: Oscar Chichoni


I first discovered Chichoni on the cover of Heavy Metal about fifteen years and, believe me or not, it was the textures he'd created that first drew my eye... okay, maybe they were the second thing, but either way, although he has a cute sense of humour (and a fondness for curvacious breasts, of which I can't complain) Chichoni's style of painting, which I still can't figure out, makes for beautiful metallic surfaces. All worn, gritty and rusty. They're like nothing I've ever seen before. 'Jackson Pollack like corrosion', or maybe they are painted with flecks of rust...?


How ever he does it, Chichoni's style has its own strange iconographic language as well, with constant references to outlandish technology, machine imps and the inevitable semi nude females. Robot like creatures feature heavily and the whole is painted in the same heavy textured style. This appeals to me as well and I wish he'd get more chances to work on this. I bet he could do some great work if given half a chance.

No comments: