Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Aerial

Spent most of today (monday) in a strange place, yesterday we cycled out to the beach using Pipski's bike seat for only the second time ever and sat at our usual spot. Its not the best beach in the world but it is preferable to the two other alternatives, Moesgaard is too far for a brief visit and Riis Skov is disgusting (people call it the ash tray). It was great to just sit on the grass and look at at the great big blue emptiness... the memory of that beautiful expanse as been with me all day today... across the water is where we'd like to live, but until we start making more money then the possibility will remain a plan for the future.

So today I've been distracted, distant... dazed and confused. I listened to 'Aerial' which I bought in the city and I really like it. Kate Bush writes songs that always make me cry for the loss of my innocence and Aerial has the same tenderness as 'The Sensual World' which has always been one of my favourite albums. I don't know any musician who can push my buttons like Kate Bush can, except perhaps Beethoven, but thats mostly just his 9th symphony which is just so beautiful it hurts.
I read with sorrow that Michael Kamen died three weeks after he'd finished working on 'Aerial'. I didn't know he was dead so that faded my lights a bit. He was a great musician.

I bought Mette some flowers. Its a silly convention really, some people say its a stupid waste of money. I bought some pretty flowers, big white trumpeting lily's, surrounded by small serious purple things to give contrast and then two great green shoots erupting out the top of it all and bursting with blood red flowers along their lengths... no doubt they will spring out tomorrow and fill the front room with colour. Mette loved them. I only buy her flowers when I know she's not expecting them so as to maximise the surprise and delight. I love that happy look in her eyes. Its not easy to think that one day it will be gone for ever, but it will. We're all just like the flowers, beautiful and precious but doomed to die. Thats why the flowers are not a stupid waste of money, because one day, like them, we'll fade and die too and all the money in the world won't change that.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, Pip looks SOOOOO adorable in the bicycle seat! As does Mette. And good on you for getting flowers. What a sweetie you are.

moif said...

The Snoos looks cute in almost every light, shade, colour and situation.... or mayby I'm biased?

=)

She's so cute and she makes me so happy. Today we were together all day since Mette has been busy with business stuff and we played and laughed and danced to Kate Bush. Evry so often she'd give me a happy look with a shrug or lean against me and I'd start crying ever so quietly because I'm just not built for this sort of happiness. Though a pessimist, I've always been in love with life but what went before was nothing compared to this.

Pip is supposed to start day care (or what ever its called) soon. She is registered with a place just across the road froom us, but we're still waiting.

It will be her first tiny small step out into the big wide world, the first, terrible, hair fine crack of independence. Of course I won't hold her back, I'll be happy to see her playing with other kids (she really needs that now) but I know what it is to be left behind and I've never liked it.

Every day is a wonderful treasure. An eternal gift that can never be replaced.

Anonymous said...

I don't think that flowers are a big waste of money. I think that they're a nice way of telling someone that you're thinking about them especially when you present them when someone isn't expecting them. :)

When I graduated from high school, I worked in the floral industry for several years, and I didn't appreciate them nearly as much as I do now that my access is limited. These days, when Christoph surprises me with flowers, it makes me all kinds of warm and fuzzy.

Anonymous said...

Oops... That was me. :)