Sunday, August 13, 2006

Freja's First Birthday

And so today was the day. Freja's first birthday! I was afraid the weather wouldn't let up, but lo and behold, the morning dawned as bright and beautiful as any summers day we've yet seen! The rain came eventually of course, so we couldn't use the terrace, but for the morning at least, the angels intervened... or maybe it was Freja's ancestors? ...and it was mild and sunny for most of the day.
Its been a great day and Freja had a blast. Due to the rain our little apartment was completely full to the brim with people but every one was in a great mood, chomping cheese cake, trifle and home made buns. Pipski got a load of presents and stayed awake all day long and every one sang 'Happy Birthday', and 'She's A Jolly Good Fellow' for the Snoos who clapped and hopped happily in her chair (she even kept the rythem as I can see on the video I took) along side her friend Josefine, (who is four months older and was as pretty as a peach with her hair done up, like Lille My).

Looking back over the last year I have to say that its been the happiest of my life. Even before Freja was born the joy of her imminent arrival spread such a joy through me that I hardly dared believe such emotions could be real, and yet since her birth those feelings have grown with each passing day until now I look upon my family with such gratitude and joy that I scarcely know how to express it. Words seem so small and insignificance besides the overwhelming happiness that brings sadness in its wake for the loss of innocence that must inevitably occur one day. Until that day I bask in the reflected light of Freja's blissful existence, grateful and content.

I feel I need to say thank you to all my friends and family. To those of you I've never even met, yet who sent presents on the occaison of Freja's birth from America, Britain, Canada and all the way from New Zealand, and to my friends here in Århus who brought clothing and gifts and who have been a constant support during the last year. Thanks to all my family and friends, the year has been easier and I think Freja is a happier child as a result. I can't really write out a list of names (imagine if I forgot one), but I can say a special big thanks to Malene!

I can't possibly say what the future will bring, but I can honestly say this last year has been a perfect year.

The family gathered / Freja tries on her new bike helmet

Mette opening Freja's presents(Josefine helped)


Me, sitting in the corner / My Dad (the Thunder god) teaching Freja about dolls...

Rikke & Josefine / Josefine & Freja

Thank You Every One!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I look forward to seeing the pics, moif!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!

moif said...

Thanks Arash!

Hi Budo, enjoy the pictures!

Its been a while since I saw you about. I hope your well!!

Cyan said...

Happy Birthday, Freja! :)

It sounds like the party turned out beautifully, and the pictures are lovely.

Anonymous said...

Hi moif! Best belated birthday wishes to Freja. She is just so adorable.

Do you guys have a tradition over there where babies get their own mini-cake on their 1st bday to eat (or play with or smear all over)? Lots of people do it over here and über cute pictures ensue.

moif said...

Hi Jaime.

No we don't have that tradition. We just have the one where the child blows out the candle/s and makes a wish.

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday, Freja!

bucket said...

moif your daughter and mine share the same birthday, I had forgotten that. I wonder if your Freja is as loving and nurturing as my Anna?

Happy Birthday Freja :)

moif said...

I'd forgotten that also!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ANNA!


Freja has started to give kisses and hugs now and since her party, she 'talks' non stop in a babble of sound that seems to have a meaning if only we could keep up with it.

marinergrim said...

Belated happy birthday greetings to freja!

Apologies to you Moif for not posting this sooner.

Your daughter is a lucky girl. My daughter doesn't remeber her grandfather (he died when she was eighteen months old) and my son never got chance to meet him at all. So she is a lucky girl to have an extended family.

moif said...

Thanks MM.

I hope both Mette's and my parents will hang around long enough for Pip to know them. Our family isn't so big as it used to be and one of my brothers has no desire to have children and my other brother, though he has the wish has not really had the means yet. May be in a few years time... The same is true for Mette's brother and I fear Freja will have no cousins for a good many years.

In the mean time we will have to put some thought towards getting her some siblings...

I'm hoping for twins

=)

Anonymous said...

I can see it was a really nice birthday for Freja. She is such a lovely child. I liked the photo's especially the one with the caption 'thank you every one'.

Greetings Renger

Anonymous said...

You're welcome moif.

Gorgeous pics! Amber thinks Mette is "real pretty". I can see her in the latest pic of Freja in her leopard shoes, especially around the eyes.

moif said...

I think you are right about Freja's eyes OB1! She also has my lips and hair and Mette's feet.

Heh heh heh

...naturally I think they are both very pretty.
=)