Monday, June 05, 2006

Pinsedag

I have no idea what this day is called in English. Its a christian holiday of some sort or other but I don't know what its about and I don't really care. We had a good but noisy day. Not only was the church up the road banging away on their bell but the fire crews were out many times and their sirens are LOUD!

My in laws came by and Mette made Brit style fish 'n' chips which she didn't think were right, but which I enjoyed immensely. Pipski had a fine time with her Mormor (maternal grandmother) but due to a passing cold slobbered on everything and every one all day long... actually, she's been having a rough few days & nights of late, what with the snuffles and blocked nose.

After the others had been out walking, Auntie Lillian came by and we all sat about the table and solved the worlds problems. I stayed at home all day since the last week has been a helterskelter ride and I wasn't sure I'd make it. Some what chilled by the low temperature in the house I carried on drawing my Samurai image and I'm quite satisfied with it. Its not bad considering how out of practice I am become... its still only a line image at this stage, but I reckon I'll start inking the lines in tomorrow.

Right now I'm listening to Vaughn Williams excellent second symphony which is dedicated to the city of London and considering whether or not I ought to add another Samurai and some Ashigaru in the background of the image... to give it more depth. In truth the image is only a 'training exersize'... but I have a fatal flaw for perfectionism... Here is the image from 'Throne of Blood', by Akira Kurosawa I'm using as my starting point.... you can't go far wrong with good old Toshio Mifune!


During our conversations around the dinner table we touched briefly on the rudeness of the French and I was reminded of something which was said when Christian, 'Ghost' and Maya were here a few weeks ago. In the world, many people look on Europeans and think them rude and arrogant, where as in Europe, every one looks on the French as being rude and arrogant.... in France then, every one looks at the Parisians as being rude and arrogant... so I wonder if, in Paris there is a city district which is considered to be ruder and more arrogant than the rest, and within this district, perhaps there is a particular street where the people are the rudest most arrogant and in this street there is one house in particular... and in that house there is one particularly obnoxious and rude old fellow, who lives in the basement and who is the physical embodiment of European arrogance...

Perhaps there is also such a person in the USA? After all, the US has a pretty poor reputation for arrogance also, and in my experience, there are none so arrogant as the Texans... Perhaps, some where in Texas (or the White House?) there is a fellow so rude and obnoxious that he is the physical embodiment of American arrogance?

3 comments:

bucket said...

Haven't you heard the saying no one hates the French more than the French? ...maybe my dad made this up.

I found that same extreme form of trabalism in CH too. And in CH each town has it's own prefered greeting so that upon meeting someone you know right off what town they are from.

marinergrim said...

When visiting France my experience has been that the Bretons are not typical of the sterotyped french people. They are polite and helpful - but then they don't consider themselves French either.

Also when in the States I've found that americans (outside of New York) are generally nice people. however, when they travel abroad they change and become just like New Yorkers but without the accent.

Us Brits are the same. Polite in our own country and yet we go abroad and seem to be intolerant of others.

Strange.

moif said...

Nothing so entertaining as national stereotypes!

Danes used to have a really good reputation in the world but since we developed our new found caricature skills we've become the new Austrians.

Maybe I'm the physical embodiement of Danish grumpiness.... ha ha ha...

Yay!