Monday, April 10, 2006

King Kong.

dir. Peter Jackson.

In short, I didn't like it. It started out with some promise. The ambience of the period was convincing and the details were well thought through. I liked the SS Venture in particular and my favourite character was the captain... how can you not like a guy who has thirty Thomsen SMG's stashed under his bunk?
Things started to go down hill once the crew had landed on the island though. As soon as the first villagers made their appearance I was thinking 'Moria goblins' and once these opened the sluce gates on their liquid fire falls the impression was fixed.

The film was too long. The dinosaur scenes were just horrible and the 'bug hole' was plain ridiculous... though it was technically well done. I liked Serkis's death in particular. That made my flesh crawl. The biggest problem I had with the whole film was it was too close to the LOTR trilogy. There were too many times when I thought, 'I've seen that before'.

Mette was almost falling asleep by the time Kong reached New York and even I was beginning to get a very sore tail by the time the biplanes turned up. I love two seater biplanes however so I perked up a bit at that point.
I wonder why American fighters of that period always seem to have yellow wings... ?
I'll have to look that up.


2 comments:

bucket said...

I hated the dinosaur scenes, and it totally ruined it for me when all the brontosauri (?) started tumbling upon one another, it was like slap stick meets Jurassic Park.

moif said...

Yeah, ha ha ha. My friend Tracey told me she didn't like the 'rubber dinosaurs' either.

I disliked that whole dino roller coaster sequence.