Sunday, April 23, 2006

Fat Britannia

I thought this was amusing.

England is a nation of "overweight, alcopop-swilling, sex-and-celebrity obsessed television addicts", according to a travel guide. The latest edition of the Rough Guide to England also warns potential visitors that the hearts of many towns "consist of identikit retail zones".
But it praises the nation of "animal loving, tea-drinking charity donors who thrive on irony and Radio 4".
Tourist body Enjoy England has criticised the book as "unhelpful". In particular, Enjoy England, whose role is to attract visitors, attacked the book for saying that talking to strangers, especially in London, "can be seen as tantamount to physical assault".


That sounds about right to me. When we lived in Rochester, Mette and I used to refer to London as ‘Freak City’. A trip to London was a trip into the most disturbed, dirty place I’ve ever encountered (outside of Poland). Returning home after a few hours in London we’d be pulling out black boogers for the next 24 hours.

And yes, Radio 4 rules!

4 comments:

bucket said...

I love London.

My sister lives right in the middle of it all, just a short walk from London Bridge station. Which used to be all crappy but is now "revitalized"

I tell you what tho the train ride from London south to Dartford is the freak ride. Dartford is far more freakish and scary than London. I hate Dartford, yet I always have to go there.

Oh, and you outta see Buffalo NY.

moif said...

Why do you always have to go to Dartford?

bucket said...

I have family there.

moif said...

Doh!

=)