Friday, September 27, 2013

Another model tank update...

 ---

Work on the Assault Gun progresses steadily. I've added seven hundred and forty nine rivets so far and I still have a lot of details to add. I've finished the exhaust pipe, and the gun is nearing completion. The command cupola is still just a shape that requires sanding and details. The sides and rear of the model still need additional details also.

At the same time I have begun two new models, though at this stage, I only intend to build their overall shapes. The first is a Heavy Infantry Support tank, and the second is a light tank, both based on 1920's designs. 

---

The Heavy Infantry Supprt tank started off as another alternative to First World War British tanks, but when I came to draw up the dimensions, it mutated into something much bigger. First it became a twin turret design and then it lost its turrets entirely. Instead of a dedicated fighting vehicle, it is now a heavily armoured tank/personnel carrier. I'm still not certain about whether or not I'll add a turret.

---

 The Light Tank is based on a 1925 Czech artillery tractor design, the CKD MT. In my version the two man crew sit in the middle of the tank, with the engine to the rear. The primary armament will be in the right hand side of the vehicle and I'll make at least two variants. One with a heavy machine gun and another with a 20mm anti tank gun. The pictures here show the second version of the hull, which, although wider than the original sketch, is 5mm narrower than the first version (which is shown below).

---
 
Various comparison pictures. The Last two show all my 'Morlock Models' together (Morlock being my casting project name). Starting from the left; 1920s Heavy Infantry Support tank. 1920s Assault Gun. 1930s 20 ton medium tank 'Heracles'. 1930s 12 ton medium tank 'Achilles'. 1930s 6 ton light tank. 1920s 5 ton light tank (first version). 



No comments: