Friday, October 12, 2012

Artist of the Month; Tavik Frantisek Simon

---

---

---

I only just discovered the work of Tavik Frantisek Simon, so for once, I've added a big selection of images, because I just can't get over how good they are. Simon was a Czech print maker who lived and worked in the same period as Alphonse Mucha. Almost all his work seems to have been acid-etched line-art with the colours printed seperately. I'm not sure how the colours were done, but it looks like lithoprint, or possibly silk screen printing. Either way, the end products were fantastic, and Simon shows remarkable gifts for capturing light, and context in his compositions. Most of his work is an exploration of urban settings, often in interesting (exploring light) weather conditions.

Simon was a very prolific artist, probably because print making allows for a greater turn over than oil painting, and I could have added three times as many images. I was hard pressed to choose those that I have over some that I'd like to add.


---

---

---

No comments: