Thursday, June 28, 2012

Artist of the month; Alexander Leydenfrost



I almost forgot to salute one of the greatest, again! I seem to have lost my impetus for art since I made a Facebook profile.

So quickly then, before the month runs out beneath my feet, here is a post dedicated to the memory of Alexander Leydenfrost who was an illustrator of the golden age of American pulp sci fi, but who was also an exiled Austro-Hungarian baron, crippled after duelling (badly) over a woman. After having fled (from the communists) his country he arrived in New York where his friends Bela Lugosi and Peter Lorre helped him find work as an illustrator (I wish I knew some people like that).

Looking at that top picture makes me think of the Engineers suits in 'Prometheus'. I wonder where Hans Rudi Geiger got his original inspiration from...?



No comments: