Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Artist of the Month; Moebius


Moebius, also known as Jean Giraud, or 'Gir', is a French illustrator and concept artist and the co-author of many excellent graphic novels. Most of his famous work was made in the early 1980's in collaboration with Alejandro Jodorowsky, but his influence has continued in subtle ways right up to today, not least in the visions of science fiction films like 'Star Wars' and the 'Fifth Element'.



I first encountered Moebius's work in the issues of Heavy Metal, which I collected over the years up until about 2003. I first began to buy Heavy Metal around 1988, so over time I built up quite a nice little collection of Moebius's work. At the same time I also encountered his work in various Danish public library's where his graphic novels were always represented in large numbers and especially here I read most of his most famous serials, my favourite of which being the stories which featured the Incal (Written by Jodorowsky). Apart from the simple beauty of his drawings, the quality that most springs from Moebius's art is its equilibrium. More than most artists, Moebius's style clearly shows an inner universe populated by a vast amount of thought and yet all described with the same aesthetic quality. Most always, any random Moebius image will instantly transport you to the familiar world of Moebius's mind.

Actually, I never really understood any of the deeper symbolism at work in the Jodorowsky graphic novels illustrated by Moebius, as most of the time I was admiring the quality of his line and largely ignored the stories as anything but a means to admire Moebius. I have an urge to buy them and re read them as I never really did get to read them in chronology.


5 comments:

Cyan said...

Interesting. I was just reading about him the other day in relation to the Alejandro Jodorowsky version of Dune, a film which was never made. Apparently, Moebius and Giger did the concept drawings.

moif said...

Moebius is huge on the European main land, especially France, but less so in the UK I think. His goden age was twenty years ago now though. The internet seems to have subdued the graphic novel for this generation.

Its a shame as I've always wanted to make a graphic novel or two. I keep thinking that if I don't do it soon, I never will, and be damned to the reality of publishing. If no one will publish them, then I could publish them myself online like the guy who does 'Lovecraft is missing'.

Historiker-Palle said...

Graphis novels were generally HUGE in Denmark in the 70-ies to early 90-ties. exessiI read Jodorowsky mainly in the early 80-ies, in public school, The Incal series. Then in 1998 a collector friend of mine turned out to have them all and The Metabarons on top. I was quite pleased at the reunion.
Graphic novels are... collectors only these days sadly. But collectors who are fans will faithfully buy from their favorite artist and author.

Historiker-Palle said...

BTW, I never realised that Mebius in his Jean Giraud incarnatioin was behind Blueberry; one of my childhood favorites...

moif said...

I did know that, but I could never understand why he would bother as the quality of the line in the Blueberry novels was so much uglier than in his science fiction stories. I suppose he was trying to convey a sense of grittiness.

I never read Blueberry because I don't find cowboy stories to be particularly interesting. Far too many dull cliches.