Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Iron Sunrise

By Charles Stross

Excellent space opera, far better than anything that bloke Hamilton has written. Mostly because this isn't a vast trilogyof waffle designed for maximum profit. Rather this is a novel, with a beginning, and end and a conclusion and the only lamentation I have concerns the antagonists who are yet another cardboard cut-out manifestation of Nazism.

With retrospect, I would describe this book as readable, even enjoyable, but not memorable, certainly not after having read 'The Cruel Sea' directly afterwards. The contrast in comparison is profound. and I shall expand on the reasons for that in my next post. Regarding 'Iron Sunrise', I found little to endear a sense of empathy with the characters, and though it was kept in check, there was still a bit too much techno-babble. On the plus side, the pages burned by and the pacing was well done.

On the whole I think I prefered the two previous books I've read by Stross. This one was generic by comparison.
3/5

1 comment:

Steve-the-Wargamer said...

"Cruel Sea"? Now you're talking - that was one of the prescribed texts for my 0 levels... given the other was "Far From the Madding Crowd" you can imagine which one got the most attention!

Good film too.... "Snorkers!! Good oh!" :o))