Saturday, March 13, 2010

Artist of the month; Tove Jansson



I've been spending so much time on RM6 that I almost forgot to mention that this months honorable artistic mention goes to Tove Jansson, creator of the Moomintroll series. The reason for this is because of Jansson's characteristic black and white illustrations, most especially in my old favourite; 'Moomintroll Midwinter', a book which I owned as a child and re-read a great many times when I was feeling down. I love stylised line art, especially when it has high contrasts, lots of dark shadows and hard light. It reminds me of the after burn you get in your vision when you close your eyes. With Jansson, that ephemeral dream vision comes to life, and it makes me shiver with lonely pleasure. Then I am the creature in the cold snow, alone and lost in a world I don't really want to understand because understanding destroys the majesty of innocence.

No comments: