Monday, September 21, 2009

Happy Birthday Gustav Holst



Venus; bringer of peace
Mercury; the winged messenger

My favourite British composer, 135 years old today. We shall celebrate withtwo of his most celebrated works, 'Mars; bringer of war' and 'Jupiter; bringer of jovility'. Holst didn't care for his Planets Suite, he lost interest in it when it became too popular. We can forgive him though, because he is dead, and because it truly is a masterpiece of classical European music. There aren't that many British composers in the pantheon of the great composers, but Holst is up there, along side Vaugn Williams, and I for one have always found great satisfaction and inspiration from the Planet Suite.



Saturn; bringer of old age
Uranus; the magician (an original recording conducted by Holst himself)
Neptune; the mystic (a modern interpretation)

.

2 comments:

brando said...

I like your music posts, because you have a much wider and deeper knowledge base than I do. I feel like I get to learn something.

Vaughn Williams. I actually know some of his stuff. And when I say 'some', I mean exactly one song.

It's the Fantasia on Thomas Talis one. I've listened to it over and over, and now feel like it's a song about me. Isn't that weird?

moif said...

That is a very popular piece and very poigniant too, its not so surprising it would strike a chord.

BBC radio 4 have just broadcast a programme about the Fantasia, but unfortunately the Beeb only keep their radio shows online for ten days and the yesterday was the last day.

I like the Fantasia too, though my favourite Vaugn Williams works are probably his first two symphonies.

In my post, I forgot to mention Elgar, who is the third great British composer.