Thursday, August 13, 2009

Freja: Four years old today

Freja's official picture, from just before she cut half her hair off

Today is the Snoos's fourth birthday and since its a week day this meant all the girls from her kindergarten group were invited over to play and have an ecological, politically correct meal. No chocolate cake or chocolate fingers, no white bread sandwiches, no coca cola, trifle or jelly. No sausage rolls, nor meat of any kind. In fact none of those staples of festive childhood fare that I remember with fondness from my own childhood. Its what they are used to though so they tucked in with gusto.

Last year, Freja was still too young to really understand the concept of a birthday and we didn't do much about it. I don't even recall giving her any presents, but I must have done. This year I made sure to get her something we could do together, so her presents were almost all sensible. She only had one wish, a bubble blowing device, and she got it.

Freja seemed to be enjoying herself, bossing the others around, but every so often she'd get the family frown out and make some protestation of indignation. Its not easy when ten other people are messing about with your stuff I guess. Personally I've always been ambiguous with regards to other people's children as I find most children to be very boring company after the first ten minutes and almost always unreasonable. Spoiled kids are even worse. Today was not so bad though. A couple of them were bossy and one was quite sly and greedy, but they were a well behaved as a group and the two wardens who accompanied them made the whole experience rather enjoyable. I was completely knackered by the time it was over though and I stole Mette's coffee and crashed on the sofa whilst she cleaned up. I had no pangs of conscience either because I knew I had to go out and buy a ton of food just as soon as I'd got my breath back...

Speaking of kids...

Ten of the best kids questions as posed by the BBC

1) Why don't all the fish die when lightning hits the sea?
2) How much does the sky weigh?
3) Why can't people leave other people alone?
4) Why are birds not electrocuted when they land on electricity wires?
5) What is time?
6) Why is the Moon sometimes out in the day and sometimes at night?
7) Why did God let my kitten die?
8) Why do I like pink?
9) Why is water wet?
10) Why does my best friend have two dads?

5 comments:

Cyan said...

Happy fourth birthday, beautiful Freja!

She looks so much like you, and the resemblance gets stronger as she gets older. Strong genes. ;)

moif said...

She's got my stubborn gene and my frowning gene too. =p

Anonymous said...

She's a cutie. 4 years kinda flies by, doesn't it?

moif said...

Frighteningly so!

Anonymous said...

Time flies by...

Happy birthday, Freja.