Saturday, July 04, 2009

Hot! Hot! Hot!

ITS FUCKING HOT!!!! 28C in the shade, touching 40 in direct sunlight, and I've been cycling to work every morning. Luckily I love the heat, so thats not s'bad. Whats bad is the heat means I can't stop sweating when I get there. Its not easy painting illustrations when you have sweat constantly running off your arms. I'm hoping to persuade my boss to fork out the cash for a wacom board, but no luck so far.

Life is very good at the moment. On Tuesday I got 5,000 kroner back from taxes and I immediately spent 2,000 on figures, books and other little goodies for myself, then yesterday, as Thursday was Mette's birthday, we walked about the city and looked for a suitable present. I had thought of shoes, but we ended up buying a bottle of Mette's favourite perfume (by Issey Miyake) and a bikini for when we go on holiday to the beach with Mette's family. Nothing fancy this year, just a week relaxing on a Danish beach and playing in the sea with Spud and the Snoos.

Spud is what I'm currently calling Magne, because he looks like a spud.

Now nod your head to this;



edited to add;

And then in sixty seconds, the glassy heat was replaced with a torrential downpour!


6 comments:

Cyan said...

Sounds like Denver this year. We're usually an extremely arid state, but it's been raining frequently through the spring and summer. Yesterday it was 95F, and then we had torrential rains.

moif said...

Typically it all went went and humid afterwards. Today the temperature is crawling back up, despite an overcast sky.

I hope I don't have to cycle to work in a torrential downpour tomorrow.

Cyan said...

The one thing I love about having that sort of downpour that quickly ends and crawls back up in temperature is all of the mist that comes up from the ground. It's so arid here that we rarely see that kind of mist and fog. It's enchanting.

moif said...

We don't really get anything like that, though the rain itself makes a sort of mist. Denmark is very wet by comparison to Colorado.

I looked up Colorado on Wikipedia, just to get some idea of the climate, and of course it looks very 'American'. By which I mean, America's natural vegetation has a distinctive look to it. A certain set of earthern colours and dry tones that seem slightly faded when seen with European eyes. Like your looking at an old photograph.

I always note this unusual palette in Feld's hiking pictures too.

Cyan said...

In contrast, your European landscapes always look so green to my eyes. I often wonder if, for example, the English countryside really looks that vivid. Also, some of the photographs that you've posted of Denmark give the same feeling. I'm also fascinated by the architecture that I see in European photographs. You have so much history there. I hope I'm able to visit in my lifetime.

moif said...

I have an idea to post more photographs of Ã…rhus future as we are hoping to move out into the countryside before not too long (sometime during 2010 perhaps).

Yes, England is very green. Ireland also. Both are saturated by the water brought up from the Trans Atlantic current. The soil is often very dark, and the vegetation grows fast and in abundance. Denmark, which is flatter and not in the path of the TAC, is not quite as green, but is still greener than the images of the USA I have seen. We have a lot of beech tree's here though so we also get lovely autumn colours too.