Wednesday, March 04, 2009

moif world update: optimism or bust


Pulling together all the various aspects of my life, to analysis them and make a decision as to what to do next... I am faced with the inevitable conclusion that the time I have remaining, how ever long that is, defines who I am. Youth ended some time ago and whats left, is whats left. Strangely, I am quite optimistic about a lot of things, mostly to do with the health of my children, both of whom show every sign, thus far, of being strong, sturdy and happy. I can't say yet whether Freja is intelligent, but I'm assuming from how she picks up words and language from the surrounding world that she will be intelligent enough to learn, and that's the best one can hope for.

I am also quite optimistic about the possibility of employment. For the first time in my life, I am facing the possibility of regular employment, and actually relishing the thought. There is no guarantee that I will be employed, especially given the current economic climate, but every one keeps telling me that if the numbers come together, then my presence in the company is desired.
Desired indeed. A lot of people have told me that I am good at drawing, but few have told me that my presence is desirable. Perhaps I've mellowed so much in recent years that I have become tolerable? They say age has a softening effect on people, and perhaps its true. I certainly don't seem to spend nearly as much energy on feeling angry, desperate or depressed these days, and I don't seem to be as lazy as I once was either. Maybe its to do with discovering my limitations, and from that point, within those parameters, I could begin to blossom? What ever it is that's making me so optimistic, I have suddenly found that I am not afraid of success as I used to be. In fact I don't seem to be afraid of much any more, only cancer and the traffic.
The real killers.

There's eternity also, but I can't handle that so I still ignore it. Agnosticism is frustrating but its still preferable to faith in illusions and dreams. I'd rather face the madness with an open mind even if my eyes are closed.

The most touching thing about being told my presence was desired was the confirmation that despite all my faults, my optimism is just as desirable as my talents. Sad little human that I am, all it takes to charm me is a little flattery.

8 comments:

Cyan said...

Your optimism is infectious, and I thank you for that. I'm also hoping that you'll find your place in the realm of work. You're supremely talented, and success is definitely within your reach, my friend. :)

mlj said...

I must say that this post brings me a certain degree of joy. To know that you're finding peace with your self, your world and your talent, that is something that can bring you far and bring you a lot of happiness.

All the best, my dearest Moif, to your family and to yourself. Thinking of you all, as always.

moif said...

Thank you both. Its nice to know I have friends out there in the world. I think of you both and am always happy to see when you've posted on your blogs, or comments on mine. For some people the internet is a cold and lonely place, but for me, its like a journey, making friends along the way, discovering new and interesting things. I love the internet (though its a real time killer and I miss books).

Employment, if it comes will not be decided upon for at least another two months, and in the mean time I shall have to do my utmost to impress. Being employed as an illustrator is not easy, especially with the world going into economic melt down. If it doesn't work out then it will not be for wont of trying.

Its always nice to be appreciated though. I think my favourite words are 'thank you moif'. Its nice to know some one is happier because of something I did.

Historiker-Palle said...

Told you before, I like you, more and more- perhaps because we both mature and find balance. And since I am a great human being, if special, of course your presence is desirable.
Rasmus and I talked about yesterday that we like your company. IE, your presence is desired. It is not to get more depressed I pop by when I am blue... it is because you accept it and me as it/i is/am and is good company.

I think especially the way you do not get caught up in intrigue is a boon to a workplace. Thought of that yesterday when you told that story about one of the intrigues...

Anyway, I hope it works out. And if the salesman is not effective enough, the company can hire me. I can sell your work any day- IMO it sells itself.

Anonymous said...

Makes me happy that i am your brother, just if didn't already know :)

moif said...

And which brother are you? I'm assuming Philip.

Unknown said...

Glad to hear things seems to be working out for you, with your talents you damn well deserve it.
Very much enjoyed meeting you last year and if things work out we might soon meet again :-)

moif said...

Ahhh, Jan!!! how are you doing???

I was just thinking about you the other day. I meant to ask Kim about you and what you were up to.