Sunday, December 07, 2008

Afghanistan


Denmark has lost two more soldiers in Afghanistan, twenty nine year old Overkonstabel Dan Gyde and twenty two year old Konstabel Jacob Grønnegaard Gade were killed on Thursday.

My heart weeps for their families, not least at this time of year when family becomes all the more important. Its not more than a week ago that I saw an interview with the wife of Major Anders Storrud who was killed 16th Oct 2007. One year on since his death, his wife spoke of the lack of support from the official military, musing that our small country with no tradition for war, doesn't really understand the sacrifices asked of its personnel. She described the difference in how the soldiers of Anders Storrud's unit, who have supported her and helped finish the building of her home to the sudden stop of pay and official silence from the state.

I grew indignant watching the report, I must say. How morally destitute are we when we cannot even pay a decent compensation to the families of our soldiers? Were it up to me, any children left behind would be granted a million kroner a piece and I'd still consider that a poor demonstration of gratitude.

2 comments:

Steve-the-Wargamer said...

Not just your country, I'm afraid... I would say Britain has a military heritage greater than most yet I feel that we to forget our soldiers all too quickly..

moif said...

Its different here though. Denmark has a much more effective social system and far fewer soldiers to take care of. The costs of compensating the families of our service personnel is far lesser than the UK's, and yet as Major Anders Storrud's wife explained recently, its as if there is a stigma attached to being a soldiers wife. She told that she felt she had to justify her husband all the time, mostly to members of the public but also to government and state officials.

I don't care what any one's politics are, such behaviour is disgraceful.