Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Happy Guy Fawkes Night


Today is the day the Brits celebrate their democracy by burning Guy Fawkes in effigy. Back in the halcyon days of youth we used to watch the fireworks and eat treacle toffee and toffee apples. It was one of the occaisions when England was actually 'hygggeligt' and people delighted in each others company. The kids would run around and scream in delight as the fire works went off. I can still remember the heat of the flames on my cheeks and the front of my trousers. It all seems like a dream now, it was so long ago. I have memories of certain fires but I have no idea where I was at the time. I don't even recall who I was with except once when we were in Tarleton.

The nearest Danish equivalent would be Midsummers Eve or 'Saints Hans's Night' when Danes burn witches in effigy and eat good food together. Its okay, though I haven't really celebrated it myself since 2001. Since its during the summer, the whole thing lacks the feel of Guy Fawkes Night. The fire seems 'less impressive' on a summers night.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Funny, as I was reading about your memories I also thought about the Tarleton bonfire, before you mentioned it.
If you want to celebrate Guy Fawkes, I'm sure dad will put up a bonfire for you. ;-)

moif said...

Do you also remember the treacle toffee Anne Dutton made?

brando said...

I don't understand the cultural metaphor. Are they celebrating the the concept of democracy? Anarchy? The concept of terrorism?

In America Guy Fawkes is invoked as a metaphor for Al-Queida and the violent overthrow of the government.

A Guy Fawkes celebration seems like an odd concept to me. Maybe it has a much different cultural frame there.

moif said...

Well, I guess it depends on where you went to school. Officially Guy Fawkes Night is a celebration of the survival of the House of Commons, which some Catholics were going to blow up. They failed and the guy who got caught in the act was Guy Fawkes.

In latter years some people have tried to usurp the celebrations, but on the whole they are basically a celebration of what a great country Britain is (which is fairly true, Britain is kind of excellent). My teachers in school used to define it as a celebration of democracy on the background that the Houses of Commons were where democracy started (they never mentioned the Greeks).

I just remembered, we used to get baked potatos in tin foil too. We never ate that at any other time though...

brando said...

Ok, I get it. The failure of terrorism. Good to go.

A holiday that has some baked potatoes! I think I might be warming up to this idea. Throw in some copious amounts of alcohol and we might be all set.

My favorite holiday is quickly approaching. November 10.

moif said...

I've never really thought of Veterans Day as a holiday, though I suppose it is of a sort.

Will you be honouring Colonel Ripley then?

marinergrim said...

We had a little celebration last night not that dissimilar to your memories.
Bonfire in the garden complete with effigy. Fireworks. Potatoes & sausages in foil cooked in the bottom of the fire. Hot mushy peas in cups with crusty bread. All finished with the family toasting marshmallows on the embers.
Probably the last time we do this sort of thing until grandkids come along - a long way into the future we hope!

Anonymous said...

Yes, I remember Anne's treacle toffee, it also seems as be the best tasting, in memory.