Friday, October 03, 2008

Artist of the month: Adolf Lachman


Lachman is a Czech artist & graphic designer who is affiliated to Amanita Design. Though his earlier stuff is less impressive, I love his model and later work and I can see why the Amanita guys have him listed as a friend. I'm still trying to figure out what he's used to add the textures to the drawings shown here (1&3). It looks very similar to the imagery in the Samarost games and I'm assuming its either some kind of texture map, or Lachman is an expert at digital painting.



8 comments:

Cyan said...

These are excellent.

It looks like texture mapping to me, but the lighting and contours are done so well that that I would also assume that he's an expert at digital painting.

moif said...

I am informed by a person in the know that these pictures are probably matte paintings.

Cyan said...

Meaning that they're not digital at all?

moif said...

yo, digital matte as opposed to the old fashioned way

Cyan said...

Thanks. I just looked up the term because I wasn't familiar with it.

moif said...

I knew it as the old method of painting on glass, but never realised what it meant in a digital medium. I knew George Lucas employed digital matte artists, ut I assumed they were just painting. Apparently however, digital matte's incorporate bitmap info.

I've just made a 'link maze', using dreamweaver and photo's of bushes photoshopped into a collage. One of the guys running the course I'm on (where I made this experiment) called the pictures 'matte making' (I guess the word 'collage' isn't 21st century enough).

I'm going to try and put the maze online and when I do I'll add a link to it.

Cyan said...

We always called it image mapping, but it's been a few years since I've taken any formal courses, and I know I'm already way out of the loop.

...and I use the term collage all the time.

moif said...

Thats because you've got style!

=)