Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Artist of Month: Alex Kanevsky

I almost forgot Augusts artist of the month, and I was looking forwards to this one before I went to France. He totally slipped my mind in the mean time. Thus is the curse of chronic decay. Alex Kanevsky is a Russian born American artist whose abstract style, monochromatic silent spaces and near photographic obsessive focus appeal to me. Some of his pictures actually look as if they were simply painted over photographs, which deception I find sort of annoying as they aren't, where as others are very obviously influenced by photographic reference, which is understandable given his overall style and body of work.


And thats about all I can say about Kanevsky without talking a lot of bollocks. I don't know much about him at all. Naturally I like his figurative work the best, the above is very good. I could think of a way he might improve on his portfolio in that regard, but thats probably just my favourite prejudism talking. I would hang it on my wall if I were rich enough to buy it.


No comments: