Friday, July 04, 2008

Turcopoles


One might be forgiven for supposing I had abandoned my interests of late, but the truth is, I've simply been too preoccupied to write about them. I have however not neglected my wargaming, and I have even managed to paint a few figures for my next planned campaign! Wonders will never cease as my Mother used to exclaim when ever I got off my backside.

The first Takshendal campaign went very well, and now I'm working on a sequel (I love calling it a sequel). The next campaign will feature more skirmish battles and a lot more running around, so I have been preparing my figures in anticipation. I bought a lot of miniatures a few years back (when I had more funds to waste on my pleasure and no daughter) and now finally, some of them are being painted after having lain dormant in cigar boxes ever since.


These twelve figures are all light horse cavalry of a type known as Turcopoles, and were bought from Perry Miniatures (though the three female riders are meant to be Armenians). I wasn't too impressed by the quality of the miniatures to be honest. They look okay on the screen, but in reality they are quite brittle, some what small (25mm scale), and the horses have ugly legs; often bent and in unflattering poses. Worst of all, half of them required extra sculpting with modelling putty after assembly. Given Perry Miniatures reputation, I was surprised at how poorly made these figures were.

I have a love/hate relationship with light horse archer (& wolf rider) elements because I really like the idea of them. They're fast, can engage at a distance and flee before heavier elements can engage them... but in practice the size of the game table restricts their movement (any one leaving the table top is 'downed'). I think perhaps we ought to have a rule that says such fast cavalry units ought to be able to leave the table and then return from a different direction, though perhaps with a movement penalty and they can't engage from off table... its worth considering)


3 comments:

marinergrim said...

I like that idea about them being able to leave the scene of battle only to return later and at a different point.
reminds me of a small engagement during the Napoleonic wars - Rolica. British light infantry appeared behind the French lines despite being seen earlier in front of them.
I must give this more thought. thanks for the mental stimulation.

Anonymous said...

Definitely worth considering.

It would depend upon the scenario of course, but I'd consider some sort of optional mechanism along the lines of a flank march; (for appropriate troops / assuming reasonable off-table terrain, etc.) the player determines which table edge the lost troops appear from, and the dice determine when (and perhaps if). There would have to be restrictions about how close to enemy figures / elements they can appear.

Hmm.

moif said...

I was thinking of an extended map which would detail the surrounding terrain and determine speed and movement, but even that might get a bit 'mathematical'.

or...

For us, the range from general would mean two movement points would have to be expended for every round the elements were flanking, so the advantage might be lost altogether, which would be equal to the flanking cavalry being unable to reach their objective. One could say that all off table movement is classed as difficult and the edge of the table from the exit to entry points determines the time needed.