Saturday, July 05, 2008

Idiocracy


One of the posters over at AD recommended this film during a debate about American stupidity and ignorance as an example of where the US is headed. 'Idiocracy' is a post apocolyptic film about life in the USA in five hundred years time and its both frightening and hilarious at the same time. The premise of the film is that stupid people will outbreed intelligent people now the pressures of evolution have been removed by science (note that its a comedy). Apparently this film was neglected by its owners (Fox I believe), perhaps because it doesn't portray them in a very flattering light at all. Its too bad. This is a film a lot of people might be well employed to watch.

Essentially this film is a biting comment on contemporary American society, but if I'm honest, I found plenty of jabs poking into my guilty conscience. Its easy to laugh at America, but lets be honest, the rest of the world isn't any better. Stupid people continually pumping out billions of babies is a global problem.

Luke Wilson isn't my favourite comedian, by any stretch of the imagination, but he does a reasonable job of playing the 21st century man who wakes up in 2525 after being freeze dried and forgotten by the US military. Waking up in a dystopian society populated by the offspring of 'dumb people', he is soon found to be the most intelligent man in the world, this despite being the quintessential average man in his own time.

5 comments:

Cyan said...

I had to laugh (and cry) at the idea of a Costco that produces legal degrees and stretches on for miles without end...

brando said...

Welcome to Costco. I love you.

Don't bother me! I'm Batin'.

Welcome to Carl's Jr. Would you like to try our EXTRA BIG ASS TACO? Now with more MOLECULES!

And who could forget the offer to have sex "Family Style".

moif said...

My favourite scene was the IQ test where the guy tries to cover his results. I was already laughing but when I saw that I nearly hurt myself

moif said...

...oh yes, and the childrens birthday party at 'Buttfuckers'.

...and the 'adult tax returns' shop.

brando said...

Brando. It's what plants crave.