Sunday, April 27, 2008

Building a giant, part 2


The giant, like most of my various modeling projects invariably do, has stood gathering dust for six months or so whilst I got side tracked. In recent days I've been doing more work on it however. I've added nearly all the muscles and skin on its torso and upper legs and am now building up the arms. The left arm will be pulled back and holding a tree trunk as a club (my giant is left handed) and the right will be slightly forward, which is why the chest is a bit lopsided. It it works, then the shoulders and collar bones should be asymmetrical.

Using the green modelling putty has been rather difficult. I've seen examples of other people using 'green stuff ' on the internet to great effect, but I have no idea how they manage to get smooth transitions. Even with its rough skin my giant still betrays the joins between the various applications of putty.

So far its been difficult but fun. Now I'm going to do a bit more on him...


- Update -

I attached the arms today and started building the shoulders up. I also added skin to the backs of his legs. He's in need of some fixes here and there, his botton is looking very dodgy for example. His right buttock is very 'button like' and looks all wrong.

2 comments:

kmk said...

Great to see you started the project again! Every time I see this I come to think about the green skinned orcs from warcraft. They were my favorite back in the days when a friend and me used to play it all the time.

moif said...

He won't be green when he's finished. I'll probably paint him some kind of greyish brown colour.