Saturday, April 12, 2008

Artist of the month: Lucian Freud


On the verge of becoming the most the most expensive painting by a living artist ever sold, the above work catapults Lucien Freud into moif's artist of the month. It can't be any other way. I love the painting, and I am an admirer of Freud's work which I first saw 'in the flesh' in the Tate Gallery in London in the late 90's (I think it was 1998). It was one of the few art exhibitions I ever travelled to see by myself and for my own viewing pleasure. I like to place Freud in the same catagory as Paula Rego, as a genius in the field of figurative iconography and I find it pleasing in the extreme that Freud is considered the foremost artist alive in the UK today. he probably isn't, but nonetheless, its good to see the nude is still so popular a motif.

edited to add: The painting eventually sold for £17.2 million
.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Please notify me when you decide to splash up Damien Hirst as your artist of the month.
http://andedam.wordpress.com/2008/04/14/god-morgen-gud-tanker-om-young-british-artists/

moif said...

Oh, I doubt Hirst will ever be my Artist of the month LOL

Anonymous said...

Fat... naked ... women?

Art?


Not since the Neolithic!

moif said...

Fat naked women is almost my personal religion. Hee hee hee