Saturday, January 05, 2008

Artist of the Month: Daniel Horne


Daniel who?

There's no personal background reasoning for January's artist. No history of inspiration or anything like that. I just saw Daniel Horne's work the other day on Andrew Glazebrook's blog and liked what I saw! I've always had to recognise the skill of any one who can sculpt as well as draw, and especially in multiple media like this guy can. Very nice. He makes dolls and small sculptures apparently from the same materials that I've experimented in (so I have an idea how hard these are to sculpt with) and I like his style, even if he has borrowed quite a bit from various sources (who hasn't?!)



Apparently he has a thing for girls with red hair and old sci fi movies from way back in the day but I can't say I blame him for that. There are more images of his work at his photobucket site.

4 comments:

Cyan said...

Wow...he's really good. I love the classic movie monsters.

moif said...

Mette wasn't too impressed with his dolls. She thought they were creepy. I explained that that was the point but she wasn't convinced. We seldom see eye to eye on aesthetic matters however.

Cyan said...

I showed them to Christoph, and he was impressed. He's especially fond of the monster trying to grab the girl's behind...

I liked a lot of his work, but the Vincent Price sculpture stood out.

What is Mette's style aesthetically? You've mentioned that she designs clothing, and I've been curious about her artistry.

moif said...

Its hard to describe. At some point in the near future if I can persuade her, I'll post some of her design images.