Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Election day bitterness

The results appear to be in now, though they are still counting and it looks like a victory for the government. I voted as usual and I'm some what happy to say, for the first time in my life, I actually voted for the side that won.

I wish I could say more than I was 'some what happy' but I can't because the election is not enough to occupy my mind. My mother returned to hospital yesterday and the prognosis is dire. I'm told she may have mere weeks left to live. My brother Philip was with her today and I shall be there tomorrow. I feel numb for there is much to say but so little that can really be said. I dread tomorrow for I know what is going to happen.

And life must go on, and thats half the horror. How does an agnostic say good bye to his mother?

5 comments:

Historiker-Palle said...

I am sorry to hear that Jan. As you say there is not much to say that can comfort you.
However, you say goodbye by remembering that you have already gived her a great gift. In the Snoos, you family, her family, goes on. And it is better to pass than to live in pain.
Still, scant comfort, I am sorry for you.

marinergrim said...

You say goodbye with love and respect for all that has been given and received.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear about mother, Jan. I wish there was more to convey, but these words are all I have.

How to say goodbye? It is difficult even among those of us who believe in an afterlife. Whatever you do, do it with truth and spirit. How you treat her in these days will show her the son she raised. It is the best gift you can give her.

brando said...

Keep your head up, man.

mlj said...

So sorry to hear about your mother, I feel for you, Moif. I hope your family (Mette, Freja, dad and brothers, in-laws) will help you with love and care to make it through these hard times. My deep-felt sympathies.