Monday, October 29, 2007

Seeking employment

A new week begins and moif is up and about bright and early. I wish I could say I bring glad tidings but alas, all does not look good. My mother is probably dying of cancer. That is to say, the doctors have told her they cannot stop it. We spent saturday at my parents house and it was not as bad as I'd feared. Naturally there is a sadness looming beyond all, but my Mother appears to be coping with her condition quite well. She was tired and looked it, but her mind is crystal clear though some what jaded. I shall have to return soon without the distraction of my daughter.

There isn't really much to say. When my friend Føns died, it happened so fast that there was no chance to say good bye. One day she was just gone. If I hadn't happened to have called her that day, I doubt any one would have even informed me as I didn't know her parents and we'd not seen each other for a few years. My great regret is not having had the chance to tell her how much she meant to me.

Now I have the chance to tell my Mother how much I love her, I find there really isn't that much to say. Words fail to convey those thoughts and feelings which really matter. My Grandmother died a fortnight ago and I felt nothing for I hardly knew her. Now I'm told my mother will probably die, but there is no time frame. Thus it becomes important to enjoy the time that is left and possibly air all those things that one has left unsaid. With me, thats not much. I'm not certain I have anything left unspoken. Though we've always had communication problems, I love my mother very much and its hard to imagine a world without her.

In the mean time, I am now officially seeking employment. The family needs to grow and to do this we need funds. The long deep sleep of the last few years must end. Mette has found a job, small at first perhaps, but with great potential and an increase of income assured from the beginning and now I must follow suit. I have no idea wha I am able to do. My long term illness and my natural disinclination to seek attention stack the odds against me, but I must surmount these obstacles using that age old secret weapon; optimism!

I must be optimistic, regardless of the circumstances, regardless of my sociophobia's and regardless of my condition!

It may be difficult.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry Moif.

My bf's mother passed away from inoperable stomach cancer three years ago. Well, it wasn't really inoperable but she didn't want to deplete the estate for her kids and she didn't want to get a divorce to get assistance without depleting the estate.

Saw my parents last month when I visited them in FL. They look terrible. Absolutely terrible. They've never taken care of themselves and I don't know why.

You feel very mortal and helpless seeing time's toll on your parents.

moif said...

I know what you mean. It gets so you wonder if even having an opinion is worth the effort since mortality is inevitable.

Sometimes I catch myself being indifferent to almost anything. A sort of lazy calm comes over me and nothing seems to matter. Because what difference does it make? Hundreds of thousands of people killed in Darfur and so what? They're all going to die any way.

But on the other hand, I am the end product of millions of years of evolution and my ancestors didn't get this far by not giving a damn. Life is worth what ever you believe it is so if I believe life is worthless then sure enough it is.

I can't believe Freja is worthless though.

I shall take my place in the great chain of evolution which is heading towards what ever unfathomable future with as calm a stocism as I can muster and struggle for as long as I can to give my life and the life of my fellow beings a meaning.

Even if that meaning is only to believe that my children and their chidren might themselves come to terms with life, love and mortality.

Cyan said...

I'm right there with you Moif, and it's true that there's not much to be said. The emotions that need to be conveyed seem to pale when put into words.

My father is going through the struggle of life's apparent futility, and he spends more and more time "checked out" which, in turn, hurts everyone...but especially the person who most needs him to be present, my step-mother.

I've made a strong effort to not allow myself get to that dark place. I have to believe that our actions, large or small, are not completely futile just because of our mortality. An instant of love or wonder carries enough meaning to keep me going. :)

moif said...

Having a child has made a big difference to my out look on life. Now I can see how my life has and will have an impact.

It would be easy to let her become the reason for my life, but that wouldn't really be fair. My life has the meaning I believe it to have. It can't be any other way. It would be easy to fall into thinking life has no meaning, and just as easy to find a crutch.

One has to stand on one's own two feet and be one's self, for one's own sake.