Monday, August 06, 2007

moif world

Its finally summer in Denmark. That is to say the sun is finally shining, the torrential rains have stopped and people have flocked to the beaches to bath in the UV. It hasn't meant much to me. I'm pretty fucked up at the moment with sporadic internal bleeding and the return of the pain just above my left testicle which had gradually faded away. I've been on to the doctor of course and he's refered me to the surgical dept of Skejby hospital. My appointment is in two months time. The joys of 'free' national health care!
.
Yesterday I went to see my mother in the hospital. It didn't take much to do it, but I hated every minute of it. My mother seems to be getting on okay, but my phobia of cancer, the pains I have in my groin and my active imagination wouldn't leave me alone. Thankfully the Snoos was on hand to keep my mind distracted and I was spared the ordeal of sitting in the room where my mother was lying (with two other cancer patients).
Still its not all depressing. Granted I am broke, ill, my mother is hospitalized with cancer and I'm not really able to get out an enjoy the sun as I could just a few months ago. At least the itchy skin/burning hands thing has gone.

Yeah... its hard to maintain my shining personality in the face of life's trials but Freja will be two years old in a weeks time so its not all bad. We're holding an 'open house' this year. Last year was a big party, but this year will be more subdued. Chocolate and buns, a traditional Danish birthday thing. Hopefully all four grandparents will be in attendence.
.
Next year, when she is old enough to actually know what its about, I anticipate a real kids party (I'm already trembling at the prospect) with all the screaming and food fighting one associates with multiple partying three year olds.
.
And now, to 'cheer you up' after that somewhat maudling post, here is some music I like:


I'm not much into rap these days but I've still got a soft spot for the Beastie Boys, not least after their third and fourth albums.
.

6 comments:

brando said...

That pic of you is pretty serious. You look like you're about to bust someone in the head.

The beastie boys are seriously diggable.

moif said...

Yes, I do frown a lot...

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear you're still having some of the same medical problems, Moif. You said you're broke. Do you want for anything?

moif said...

Not really. I'm not broke in the literal sense. Just not got too much cash since my working ability is curtailed by my constantly being ill. The meds are expensive and sometimes I go without, but we're managing, just about. Hopefully things will pick up soon. I'm going to be doing some jobs for a friend and Mette is constantly looking for work. We're told the job market is screaming for workers, but thats not been our experience. Mette's been applying for work for ages now, virtually one application after another, an interview almost every week, but so far, despite so really annoying near misses, no luck.

We have a good welfare system in Denmark, and it doesn't carry the stigma I read about in the states, but this country is horrendously expensive and if you fall out of sync with the rest of society, then yu've got a real uphill struggl eon our hands. Get ill on top of that then your fucked.

Its not a surprise to me that so many immigrants find it really hard to get on here.

Anonymous said...

What's your deductible on medicine? It doesn't sound completely free. I hope she finds something soon. :)

moif said...

The state pays for a proportion of the meds, its actually quite a lot, but medicine is not free. Treatment is, though Danish doctors are not too fantastic.

My medicinal requirements have gone through the roof in this last year (received yet another receipt today) since I've developed several new 'ailments', I'm not actually sure how much they all set me back at the moment.