Sunday, August 19, 2007

Cthulhu House update

Its still looking a bit half baked but essentially, but for a few internal walls and three windows at the back, the struture is finished. I added the turret tower last night and set about cutting the remaining tiles. This is a time consuming and monotonous task, but I usually have a film ('Sleepy Hollow' or 'Predator' are good for this type of thing since I've seen them so many times I don't need to look at the screen) running in the back ground when I do dull stuff like that as it makes the time pass easier. The tiles are made from strips of carboard (corn flakes packets and stuff like that) each cut in a haphazard fashion to break up the pattern and add a touch of pseudo realism.

I still can't decide what colour scheme to paint it, but I'm leaning towards generic stone greys rather than English country brickwork. These images show ill fitting parts, but these should disapear as I add the polyfilla. From that point on, the clean cut look will also vanish as polyfilla makes a real mess. There after comes the painting and 'weathering' which are the best parts for they bring the model to life (if one is lucky enough not to screw up the whole thing).

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a remarkable project, moif. Thanks for posting regular updates on it. If you haven't given thought to it already, I encourage you to build a dollhouse for Freja in a few years. My uncle built me one when I was a wee girl and it was my favorite toy for most of my childhood. With your talent, you could make something that Freja will cherish forever.

Anonymous said...

Obviously it would need to be rather more robust... and on a different scale, but that is an excellent idea.

My children have been inspired, at least partly, by model building, and have constructed huge amounts of structures for their bionicles; fortress wall sections, a tower, a catapult (that works), a tent frame (drape tea towels over it), etc.
They spend almost as much time playing with these than various computers; more in summer.

Another thought:
I thought that I saw a dollshouse for sale for about nothing, in one of the second hand shops just down the road from Moifville

Oleg

moif said...

A Cthulhu House for Freja.... I need to buy one of those cuddly Cthulhu toys then!

Anonymous said...

The house is coming along fine, I like the red light, although one might get the wrong idea 8-) What happened to the link to the german modelbuilder???
Peter

moif said...

Here it is

brando said...

Cthulhu House for Freja.

Hmmm.

Ftagan, yog-sothoth, and maybe throw in a flying polyp for good measure.

When Freja gets a little bit bigger, the King in Yellow had better look out. Yeah, that's right. I knew about the King in Yeller.

moif said...

Well thats more than I do. Who is the King in Yellow? Is this a Lovecraft reference thats slipped past me?