Thursday, August 02, 2007

The Cthulhu House

Th Cthulhu house, due to its design and shape is inspired by the houses which were often shown on the covers of the Call of Cthulhu rule books, though my model is slightly less grandiose:


That was back in the days when Call of Cthulhu was a fairly popular role playing game. I haven't heard of any one playing it in a long while now, but I suppose a few old gamers dust it off now and then. They eventually made it into a computer game but from what I understand, its nothing but a shoot the zombies type affair.

So far I've made the frame for the first two floors of my model and next up will be the frame for the roof and upper turret. This time round I'm not going to use the same roofing tiles as with the inn. These were made with a mold I bought from Hirst Arts, but the end product is heavy, unweildy and has warped the underlying structure so badly that the whole affair fits so poorly together now that I've half a mind to pull it apart and remake the entire roof.

I've also been applying polyfilla sculpted brickwork to my city wall elements (see below) and these are now 90% rendered. I'm really looking forward to painting them., but thi swill have to wait until I've completed the second tower I have planned, thus all my city wall elements will share an overall colour scheme. I think its safe to say I enjoy rendering models even more than building them. Adding the final 'weathering' is the most fun of all.







3 comments:

brando said...

Wow, your terrain looks great. I'm sort of ashamed of some of the stuff I called terrain for 40K. I did paint them though.

Anyway, great work.

moif said...

The painting is the best part, but its my curse in life to always get side tracked before I reach that part. I am very bad at concentrating on one thing for any length of time. Three weeks is usually it.

There are a few exceptions of course, EVE for example, but for the most part, I start projects then put them aside before they are finished because something else has caught my imagination in the mean time.

Sometimes I go back to old idea's and resume them until completion, but in the case of current projects I have 9 unfinished models and 2 unfinished paintings awaiting my attention. At the same time I am writing two skirmish role playing games and a short story.

...all whilst being constantly side tracked by my daughter.

I've also drawn up plans and diagrams for my next two model buildings, at least one of which I am so eager to begin that the temptation is a daily nuisance.

The Cthulhu House is now about 35% done. Eventually, when its finished, it will be three storeys tall, have a turret, stone walls on the ground floor and half timbered above. The roof will open up to reveal the top floor, there will be a balcony opposite the turret and a small green house at the back. Each level will internal walls and stair cases and the whole thing is scaled so it can be opened up and used for skirmish war gaming.

I haven't yet decided how to paint it. I'm thinking the ground floor walls may be white washed brick and the upper floors will be black and white timber frame. The roof will be slate grey and I may add some form of decorations, though I'm not sure what that'll be yet.The idea being to convey wealth.

On the other hand, I may paint the stone grey/green to enhance a 'lived in' aspect and make the whole thing more 'sinister' to fit in with its Lovecraftian influences.

I shall attempt to finish the model in one go, for it must be ready for the Takshendal games which I anticipate playing sometime around December or January.

moif said...

...or I could paint it with red bricks and go for an old English country house look...