Sunday, July 08, 2007

Freja: Danish summer

The Snoos has had a pretty uneventful summer thus far. The weather has not cooperated at all, though we've largely avoided the floods which have been on the news a lot recently, the rain has been near constant for the last three or four weeks and the shop in the basement of our building did get a bit flooded about a week or so ago. The sun has certainly been obscured and I've not been out to Moesgaard for several weeks now. I've also had a flare up of my 'condition' so I've been house bound for the last fortnight as well. Thus, I stayed at home whilst Mette, Freja and Mette's parents spent a few days out at a summer house on the coast. It was a really FUBAR to be left behind, but the alternative was to sulk so much that no one went and that just was not an option. Thus, Mette and Freja spent most of the last week on the Mette's new bike cycling about and enjoying the countryside whilst I stayed at home playing EVE. Freja really likes her grandaparents, Mette's Mom and Dad are called 'Mor-mor' and 'Moofah', and she enjoyed herself immensly. She doesn't care one jot about rain and runs about from puddle to puddle as happy as a puppy. Its a pleasure to behold, though with the mess she makes, she is gradually destroying our apartment

...not least with her new found mania for drawing. Maybe its my genes, but my daughter appears to have a thing for drawing. On Everything. Floors, walls, TV remote, keyboards, pots n pans, her clothes, her skin, anything and everything. I got up the other morning to find my desk had been vandalized.

Freja is coming along nicely. She'll be two years old soon and she seems to be 100% average in all respects but one: Language. Growing up in a dual language home she's a bit behind on speaking, but now showing a real understanding of what is said to her. Her vocabulary still leaves a lot to be desired though and she makes up a lot of words. Her passifier is called a 'Shoona'. Her boots are called 'Doona' and a dog is called a 'Fhoona'. I spy a pattern.

Today we made a den in the front room and played 'house'. I couldn't really fit inside, but Freja insisted I do so, so I pretended to sleep with my bum sticking out of the opening and Freja grinning at me happily (she does a lot of smiling these days, I'm saving up the memories for when she becomes a teenager). We still watch a lot of Pingu and Wallace and Gromit. It seems she will never tire of these but I'm glad; Hours of Wallace and Gromit is not a bad childhood memory!

- -

.

4 comments:

marinergrim said...

Great days Moif.

Children develop at their own pace so don't worry too much. James was a little slow with his vocabulalry but certainly makes up for it now!

Anonymous said...

Indeed. Children of bilingual parents often develop slowly in the language department, but they soon make up for it.

Anonymous said...

That's a beautiful picture.

moif said...

Mette took that one.

=)