Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Triffid project

Been working on my first 'green'. A 'green' is a small sculpture from which a matrix for a 28mm figure is made. There are no rules as to what a green can be made of, but they're usually made from a binary modelling medium called green stuff, hence the name. In the 'old days', a similar product called Milliput was used, and thats grey, so maybe they were called 'greys' in those days? The medium works by mixing two sperate components into a maleable clay which gradually hardens over a period of 30 minutes to several hours.
.
I used green stuff for the darker parts of the model and a modelling clay called FIMO for the main part. FIMO is a different kind of medium, one which hardens once its been cooked for 30 minutes at 110 degree's C.
.
Alas, these greens will never be able to be used to make metal models. The 'mouth' parts are to 'fussy' to be cast.
.
The 'green' is a Triffid. A walking, man eating plant from the BBC adaptation of the book 'Day of the Triffids' by John Wyndham (an excellent post apocolypse novel). The bottom image is a colour guide for when I paint the models (I'm making three). I'm not sure what its from since I found it on Wikipedia but it looks like a cut out from a TV still.
.

6 comments:

Cyan said...

I haven't read Day of the Triffids, but I'll put it on my ever growing list.

The model is lovely, and I'm curious to know how you worked the two mediums together. Did you bake the FIMO and then work the green stuff?

marinergrim said...

They recently reran the classic 70's BBC series on TV over here. Thirty years on and it still had the power to frighten by lad. Excellent stuff Moif but judging from the series you're going to need an aweful lot of them (there was one scene where an entire field was covered in Triffids).

marinergrim said...

I should add that John Wyndham is one of my favourite authors. his book is a terrific read - great story and terrifying moments in one.

moif said...

Ah well its mostly just a learning experiment, seeing if I can pull off a simple green before I turn my mind to a human figure. Trouble is, I don't have a soldering iron or the materials to make an armature yet.

Cyan; thats right. I baked the FIMO first then added the green stuff. You can't bake FIMO twice or else it gives off toxic fumes and its too soft for a lot of details, what you could do is make the parts seperately and then glue them together. I'm already doing this too in another, far larger project which I can't post on here as its still a secret (I'll post images of that project at a later date). The green stuff is superior because you can build up layers of detail without worrying about crushing the model.

Green stuff is expensive though, it costs 60 kroner per packet where as FIMO costs 16kr per pack, and then you get almost twie as much.

I've always loved 'Day of the Triffids'. I've had a tattered old copy of it since I was a lad. I used to long for the day when society would fall. Not any more. Now I am become dependent, I am become far more conservative. I also appreciate my life for what I have.
I still enjoy the ambience of the story though and the menace of the triffids.

Historiker-Palle said...

I would not mind society's fall;-)

Guess Rocketman will meet Triffids in the next campaign...

moif said...

Nope