Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Random musings on mental landscapes


Grimsby Mariner asked about 'Sky Captain the World of Tomorrow' in the comments for the Art Deco post and it got me to thinking. I'm currently posting in a, less than serious, debate over at AD about a 'world without America' and in my current disrupted sleep rythmn, I laid awake for a long time this morning pondering such things. I also watched 'Dark City' before I went to sleep which helped focus my attention.


There seems to be a progression of films in my 'catalogue of favourites' that deal with the theme of the urban landscape forming, as it were, a distinct identity central to the narrative... Okay so this is nothing new. Art critics have long since identifed the urban landscape as a playground for the darker side of the human psyché, and there are countless examples to back this up. The primordial forest is another such aesthetic playground and forms a sort of ying to the urban yang.

For me, there is a direct line of associations in the media of cinema that seems to form a linear progression. (Yes I'm rambling because its 7 am and Freja has awoken me after only a few hours sleep). 'The Matrix' ripped off a lot of other works, but its 'Dark City' that seems to be the previous link in my mental chain. Before that it was 'The City of Lost Children', 'Bladerunner' and all the way back to 'Metropolis'. I'm sure I could fill in other films along the way if I tried hard enough, but the point is made already. All these films share the same characteristics of being tales of the imagination set in fantastic, dark city-scapes. Invariably the city is decaying. In other personal favourites, 'Logans Run', 'Mad Max', 'THX-1138', the city is either destroyed already or in the agony of dying. Urban decay is also the theme most obvious in my own photographic endeavours with rust and moss holding a particular fascination for me.


It could be nice if I could sum up all these random thoughts into a coherent point but in order to do that I'd have to have a deeper insight into the mechanics of my own mind than is currently the case (most of the time now-a-days the only thing I can think about is how fucking knackered I am!).


I used to think that I wanted the world to end. That my fascination with post apocolyptic iconography was an indication of my wish to see this world destroyed, for I have no particular love of this over crowded pop cultural world we live in today. Now however, as I muse all this and attempt to summarize said musings, it strikes me as being something more akin to an obscure love of self. That somehow, for some reason, I appreciate the decayed, rusty fragments and urban detritus, maybe even identify with them. That they, like my perception of self, represent a reality of life. The slow gradual aging that wears us away and forms who we are. The great dark city is a known metaphor for ourselves, gradually aging and growing strange, and with the undergrowth always gnawing at the edges. Vast and complex, but utterly doomed. Its a cheering thought I know, and appealling. Rust is like skin. The ever spreading crows feet that smile at us in the mirror.


'Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow' fails on so many levels its hard to know where to begin. Yes, its an homage to the Art Deco movement and its title (world of tomorrow) suggests that its creators are aware of their references, but it has none of the feel of the 1930's period for me. It feels like an experiment gone horribly wrong. 'Rocketeer' feels like the 1930's (at least more so than SCATWOT) because it has the faux realism thats missing from Sky Captain's world; the optimism.


Yes, I know, The film makers went for a film noir look but they failed to take into account that film noir is not simply cinema du look. In other words the ambience of film noir is not determined by the visuals. Shadows alone do not make for film noir, it requires good acting (and probably a half decent story). More than anything else though, it requires that little grain of reality that grounds it in to the human psyché. The strange little thing that makes fantasy credible. I don't know what that little thing is yet but I know SCATWOT doesn't have it.


I'd wonder what Terry Gilliam would have done with a concept like Sky Captain, except I don't have to because he's already done it in his own twisted way. Set in its own alternative 1930's, 'Brazil' is what Sky Captain ought to be. Dark and strange its not hard to watch with suspended disbelief. It has all the right elements of the unreal and mates them to the brooding cityscape as well. Best of all it has the sense of humour that is so painfully lacking from Sky Captain.


I think I made a point in all that. Now its time for the Snoos to go to day care and then I'm going back to bed! (Click the image if you want to see more of the same)

9 comments:

bucket said...

I think my favorite 1930's architecture is the Hoover Dam. For several reasons...one it is an amazing feat of human engineering, two it is in one of my most favorite areas of the US, the Southwest deserts of America, (the Mojave and the Sonoran)I think the desert is so beautiful and the drive from Phoenix to Las Vegas has to be my all time favorite and Hoover Dam is a piece of that drive. I also appreciate the terraforming that Hoover Dam created Lake Meade is pretty cool, although Lake Powell is much cooler.
But the sculptures at the Hoover Dam and all the other artistic symbolism just add to the whole effect, they enhance the idea of man's strength even in the harshest conditions.

Anonymous said...

By a totally strange coincidence, the Phoenix-towards-Las-Vegas (never quite got there) area is one of my favourites...

I saw SCATWOT and the Incredibles at about the same time. Different genres, but both with a crazy chase through a city. IMO this worked in the Incredibles and failed in SCATWOT. Says it all.

Oleg

moif said...

The Hoover dam is iconic of that period I think (and it was finished in 1936 btw).

Its got the scale and sense of power about it that makes it so iconistic. Its the perfect example of the spirit of the period and the Art Deco style.

I've read that heavy traffic is no longer permitted to use the dam as it poses a terrorist threat. Its a poigniant reminder of how the old icons of power have become so vulnerable in this new 'enlightened' age.

moif said...

...or should that be iconic? I'm not sure Iconistic is even a word...

Cyan said...

I have a similar fascination with post apocalyptic imagery, but I don't think that it's been cultivated by a desire to see the world end...perhaps certain parts of the world.

I'm particularly fond of imagery where nature has reclaimed a part of the urban landscape...untended, no manicured lawns and human control over the elements.

I also like the concept of humans adapting and surviving in a setting that is no longer familiar. There's a lot of interesting ground to be covered from a psychological perspective.

Of course, part of my fascination is aesthetic. I can't quite tell yo why I find certain decayed settings to be beautiful, but I do. Perhaps it's easier to focus on the beautiful things when most things are in a state of decay.

Anyhow...I'm sort of rambling. Not sure if I have a point anywhere in there.

moif said...

I don't know why its so beautiful either. Maybe it just the pretty colours? I used to take lots of pictures of rust (I've added some to my gallery) just because I liked the look of it. No two patches of rust are ever the same if you look at them. Its like skin.

Sometimes (I get exema) I look at my skin and see rust setting in. Makes me wonder why we think pretty people are those with no blemishes though. Maybe skin is a poor analogy.

There was a time when I tried to make tie dye T shirts that looked like rust. That was fun. One came out pale orange and another is darker, all mottled browns n vague. I started with olive green and avoided the traditional star burst patterns. I should get a picture of one and post it.

mlj said...

I've been meaning to comment on this post ever since I saw it first, but somehow never got round to doing so.

You take on the deterioration of the city is quite fascinating, and reminds me of a study trip to Germany, to the IBA Emscher Park in the Ruhr-district. Within the industrial landscape created over the last hundred years or so, they have made a massive park, and especially some parts of the park are really cool. There's the Duisburg Nord Landscahftspark, Zeche Zollverein and a lot more. The Industrial buildings and machines are left to be taken over by nature, turning into sculptural elements that interact with the developing plants and trees that envelop them. The scale of some of these giant production facilities are amazing, and what is even more amazing is the fact that mother nature is allowed to retake what was pulled from her womb to produce black, hard artefacts. But also a staging of the industrial past takes place with lighting and sounds interacting with the massive structures. It's really quite fascinating, and very cool way of regenerating a totally wornout working class, coal mine and industial area into a place people go for vacation!

I don't know how to add hyperlinks to words, so instead here are a few links you can browse at your leisure.

A list of the projects in the park
http://www.fh-bochum.de/fb1/af-iba/iba-staedte.htm

Examples
www.archidose.org/Sep00/091800.html
www.aufschalke2006.de/ge_foto_landschaftspark.htm
wwww.kap-man.de/lanschp-01.htm
http://www.zollverein.de/

moif said...

Thanks M.

Some great stuff there. I'd love to visit that place. It would be interesting to see if it was truly left to decay or given a degree of nuture.

mlj said...

well, it varies, some places it is all left to decay, and others are shaped into park settings.. which is then another interesting juxtaposition about the project. Indeed very cool! :.)