Sunday, November 26, 2006

The Safeguard of the Sea.

A Naval History of Britain. 660 - 1649.

By N.A. M. Rodgers.

For any one interested in the subject, this is a really good book. Apart from the general topic it also looks at a number of historical events, such as the 1066 invasion from the naval perspective and seeks to shed light on certain details which may be obscured by the general perception.

Mostly though, its just a good hard look at what it cost for the various kings and queens within the dates 660 - 1649 to maintain a naval force. The book starts in generalized terms and with scant data and gets progressively more detailed (and more boring) as it makes its way into more charted waters. By the time it reaches the reign of Elizabeth I and her successors, it has become bogged down in details and the last hundred pages were very hard to chew through.

Fortunately for me, though just shy of 700 pages, this book is one third appendices so it finished just about the time I was getting ready to chew my leg off in desperation.
3/5

3 comments:

Jim Webber said...

Sounds like something I might like. The Age of Sail has always facinated me. I have read quite a bit about that era, mostly fiction, I'll admit.

Jim Webber said...

Dang! I see I spelled fascinated wrong. I hate spelling mistakes!

moif said...

My next maritime book will be about the beginnings of the US navy and their operations against the Barbary pirates.

Thats going to be interesting

=)