Thursday, October 05, 2006

U boat ace: The story of Wolfgang Lüth

By Jordan Vause.

Another excellent read. I went through this book like a hot knife through butter though this is hardly surprising as it is a mere 216 pages. This is the story of one of Nazi Germany's most succesful U boat captain's. It details his operational history and paints an honest portrait of a man who was obviously a Nazi as well as a brilliant submariner. I hadn't realized the book would be quite so unflattering. Normally, accounts of German soldiers in the Second World War gloss over their political tendencies, but though he portrays Lüth with some admiration, Vause makes no excuses for his subject.

I have a weakness for U boat's. I don't know why, indeed I have a weakness for ships of any sort actually, though I am a poor seaman, invariably puking my guts up at the first sign of a wave and utterly miserable when cold and wet. I think it has something to do with the spirit of the thing. The utter isolation and deadly conditions balancing the romance of the open sea and the comaradery of the crews.
One thing is certain. I am glad that I never had to fight in a U boat!
4/4

7 comments:

Cyan said...

Didn't you serve in the Danish Navy?

marinergrim said...

Next year the company producing the Axis & allies collectable game will launch a naval version. Starter packs will contain 9 painted plastic models with booster packs to expand the collection. First impressions suggest that ships like the Bismark will be close to six inches in length. They're planning to have battleships, cruisers, destroyers, submarines, cariers and aircraft for each of the theatres.

Oh - and it's nice to have the coments back!

moif said...

Cyan.

Not me. I did four years in the Danish vesion f the National Guards.

The closest I've ever come to the Navy are ferries between Denmark and the UK.

MM.

Strangely though I have no interest in modern naval games, at least not yet. Napoleonic, yes. Starship combat, very much so... but WW2? Not a sausage.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like I'll have to pick this one up.

moif said...

Dude, have you ever read a book called 'Iron Coffins'?

Anonymous said...

I have indeed. Many, many years ago.

Similar?

moif said...

Dunno. I was hoping if you could recommend it...?