Friday, October 20, 2006

The Nautical Chart

By Arturo Pérez-Reverte.

With this story, Pérez-Reverte attempts to create a modern and almost realistic treasure hunt story... I say almost realistic because Pérez-Reverte's style is some what dream like and his books often feel as if they exist in a wholly unique place, a sort of surreal Spain where bemused, sad or just worn down antagonists face the world with weary resignation.

Usually I start his books with a sense of "oh no, here I go again" and end them with, "ah well, that wasn't so bad, in fact I quite liked it". So far this has held true for two of the three Pérez-Reverte books I've read until this one... now the score is Two good and two indifferent.

There is nothing actually wrong with this story, and it has the same ambience as his other novels, but the mystery is lacking. At no point in the story was I ever in doubt as to what would happen and this detracts form the story. Revealing too much is always dangerous.
3/5


No comments: