Friday, October 06, 2006

Beta

Well, I ran a test and I didn't like all the changes the new Beta format would make on my blog so I reverted back to the old format again. Basically it would erase all the small changes I have made and make it near to impossible for me to rebuild things as I like them. The benefit of having my labels catagorized is simply not worth the aggro of having to re-edit my entire blog. Blogger describes the change as giving more control, but it seems to me that what they've done is replace actual control with easier to use tools.

There is a load of stuff that I simply don't understand as well. Like why do the links suddenly switch around, gaps appear and the post titles suddenly become links to the posts when the time stamp already does that? It just made the pages look cluttered.

There is something else I've noticed as well. All the links in my profile have suddenly disapeared after I changed to Beta. Previously these would link to other people with similar interests, but now its just a pointless list of likes and dislikes.

2 comments:

Cyan said...

Within the tools, there is an option to input your own HTML/JAVA code, so I think it may be possible to directly pull the sidebar code from your current blog layout and input it into one of the modules so that it would look identical to your current blog with the added bonus of the label support. Not 100 % sure of that, but it's the impression I'm getting.

I only say this, because I think that eventually blogger plans to automatically migrate all of the onld blogs to the blogger beta format once they work all of the bugs out. That may be a frustrating switch for you if they end up doing so, but when/if the time comes, let me know, and I'll take your current code and see what I can do to adjust it in such a way that it's exactly like your current blog.

I can't code from scratch, but I've become relatively good at reading and modifying existing code. :)

moif said...

I actually tried to do that but the widgit stuff left me clueless.

If Blogger does switch over regardless then I'll just have to deal with it I guess. One can hardly complain over a free service.

In the mean time, I've got a test blog called JRC-1140 where I've been carrying out some sxperiments.