Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Night Watch

a.k.a Nochnoy Dozor.

This is a Russian film, a sort of adventure thriller about an eternal battle between the forces of good and evil. Its a bit like 'Underworld' only without the Hong-Kong style action sequences or high powered c.g.i that now characterizes US films in this genre.

Actually, the film had its merits, though it also left us hanging out to dry a few times as well. There were several interesting sequences during the film, especially when Anton became an 'other', which is what the members of the ongoing war are called. I notice on IMDb that there is a 'Nightwatch 3' in production, but no sign of a 'Nightwatch 2' as far as I can see.

The weirdet thing in the whole film was the evil leaders hair, which looked like something terrible from the 1970's. I've noted this sort of hair amongst eastern Europeans before.... many of the Serb leaders during the Balkans conflict had similar horrors squating upon their skulls. I'm not usually a fashion consious type of fellow, and my own hair (or lack there of as the case is becoming) isn't going to win any one an oscar for best make up... but every so often I see something that resurrects my long dead internal teenager and I recoil from the aesthetic shock of it. Subsequently this film loses a whole point in my mind since I can't get that Jimmy-Saville-hair-do out of my minds eye!

No comments: