Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Packing...

Am currently listening to 'London symphony Nr 2. Fantasia on a theme by Thomas Tallis' by Vaughn Williams whilst I pack. Usually when I go on holiday I only pack a load of underwear and T shirts and just wear the same pair of jeans the whole time, though I also have shorts and a jacket in case it gets cold.
Its been so long since I went any where though that the frame on my rucksack (an old US army ALICE pack) broke when I lifted it up. I looked at the crack and pondered the poigniancy of it. My old body, symbolized by this relic of my youth, is in much the same way and I think I need this holiday more than I know.

I've bought numerous interesting books to read along the way. The last two arrived this morning, via Amazon.co.uk.
I have:
Thermopylae; Battle for the West.
The memoirs of Usama Ibn Munqidh; An Arab Syrian Gentleman & Warrior in the period of the Crusades.
Trafalgar: An eyewitness history.
The Safeguard of the Sea: A naval history of Britain from 660 to 1649.
and two novels:
Enigma by Robert Harris.
The Nautical Chart by Arturo Perez-Reverte

I'd also bought another novel by Perez Reverte, but when it arrived the blessed thing was in Spanish! Fortunately my sister in law is a translator and fluent in Spanish, so she got that as a present.

Yesterday I packed down all my Cd's into plastic sleeves. I used to be quite greedy about jewel cases and the little books that went with Cd's, but now I find they are more annoying than anything else so I hacked my collection to bits and threw out all the jewel cases and any bits of paper that didn't fit in the pockets. Suddenly my Cd collection has been reduced to a single well packed shelf. I wonder which idiot dreamed up the idea of putting Cd's into thick, easily breakable, plastic boxes in the first place?

The Snoos was a great help as you can imagine. She's starting to develop a naugty streak now where she deliberatly does what she's not allowed to do. The word 'NO!' has no effect what so ever except to ellicit a sombre shaking of her head. Two seconds later and she's back under the desk, worrying athe computer cables, or pulling the books from my self (or the spines form the books!!!! AAAARGH!) or grabbing something dangerous like a stanley knife or a pair of scissors that got put down for ten seconds and running about with it in her mouth....

Its enough to drive one insane!

7 comments:

bucket said...

There is this funny kid's CD I am going to send it to your little girl.

You ever heard of They Might Be Giants?

They have a song called NO!

http://www.giantkid.net/indexKill.html

You can here some of the songs on their site just enter and then click on the NO blocks to hear the NO! song :)

moif said...

Ha ha ha ha ha, yeeah, that might help.

It will certainly give her something to dance to.

=)

Anonymous said...

And so it begins. Mobility has its price.

;)

moif said...

Indeed!

I had to put her to bed early today because she was being a bad girl. Provoking us by doing what we told her not to then laughing when we told her 'no'.

Eventually I had to physically remove her from my book shelf, but then she started playing with the power cables for Mette's sewing machines and wailing when ever we moved her away and said 'no'.

So I put her to bed half an hour earlier and she kicked up one helluva fuss!

=)

But she's gotta learn.

marinergrim said...

Moif,

Yesterday's edition of Thinking Aloud was all about attitudes in Denamrk. Quite an interesting programme.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/factual/thinkingallowed/

moif said...

Thanks MM. I caught it just now (am leaving in a few hours, we were delayed by a job)

You have to see how Danes drink to believe it. The thing is, it never seems to be a problem for most people here.

I don't drink at all.

moif said...

By the way, I should remember to explain the Danish concept of 'cosy', when I get back. Laurie Taylor doesn't seem to get it, but thats not unusual, its a very cultural thing.